By updating to SR1 you are able to benefit from a number of key enhancements to SDL Trados Studio 2017 including:
- New LookAhead feature – improves the retrieval speed of search results when moving from one segment to the next, for a much smoother and instantaneous translating experience.
- Enhancements to upLIFT next-generation translation memory technology:
- upLIFT tool tip reference: ability to see the origin of fuzzy match repairs with new tool tips so it is easier to see their origin.
- AnyTM support: leverage any translation memory regardless of whether its source and target language match the languages of the project and use this with upLIFT to increase productivity.
- upLIFT easy upgrade process: it is now easier to get started with upLIFT with one click of the ‘upgrade’ button during project set up or in the project settings. A new batch upgrade option is also available in the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories’ wizard so you can upgrade all your TMs in one go. During the upgrade process you will now be able to see the progress of the upgrade. Studio will also let you know when you are using a TM that is not enabled for full upLIFT functionality.
- upLIFT for Chinese and Japanese: upLIFT is now also available for Chinese and Japanese which are languages that have no spaces between words. This brings the productivity benefits to these users now.
- Enhanced batch processing support for upLIFT Fuzzy Repair: reporting on the number of repaired words in now available. This also means that fuzzy matches will now be repaired in batch (if you pretranslate fuzzy matches), and the best candidate for repaired fuzzy matches will be inserted into the pretranslated segments.
- Ability to insert unrepaired fuzzy matches: return to the original fuzzy match at the click of a button if the fuzzy repair correction is not suitable.
- Error handling improved: error messages now offer links to specific support resources from the SDL Community and Knowledge Base and are seamlessly integrated with SDL Trados Studio for quicker and more reliable troubleshooting.
- Tech preview of SDL Language Cloud Terminology Beta: translators can now benefit from an expanded set of Terminology resources: they can now access Termbases in the cloud or via desktop and can share and collaborate with others through an intuitive user interface.
- Machine translation enhancements: Google Neural Machine Translation available in Studio and improvements for the flows around using SDL AdaptiveMT, including the update check box.
- A rebranded and refreshed user interface: enhanced contrast in the icons and language pairs are shown more clearly in the Translation Memory and Automated Translation user interface.
- PerfectMatch improvements: ability to ignore formatting during the PerfectMatch which can help to avoid problems when using PerfectMatch on heavily formatted files. By introducing this option you have more flexibility when working with PerfectMatch.
- File Types update: We are committed to giving users the most sophisticated and robust file type support starting with Word, then Excel, now PowerPoint. You can now benefit from the new PowerPoint 2.0 file type (beta) including real time preview. PDF file type is now available with Asian OCR recognition (requires separate IRIS add-on) and there is a new option to translate Microsoft Excel content embedded in Microsoft Word files without the need to manually extract it.
- Other enhancements: Ability to set background colour for displaying changes in fuzzy matches.
Read the Knowledge Base articles and Release Notes for the full details and a complete list of all improvements.
With Studio 2017 SR1 we are introducing a more robust way of maintaining the health of a TM by adding new indexing data to each translation unit. To get this benefit you will need to upgrade your TM/TMs. Studio will give you a gentle reminder with an orange icon and tooltip to recommend that you upgrade your TM. Not only will this upgrade optimize the performance of the TM, but it will also enable you to enjoy the full benefits of upLIFT technology if your TM is large enough to benefit from fragment recall and fuzzy repair.
You can choose when you want to upgrade a TM and you can also use the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories Wizard’ on the Studio Welcome screen to add multiple TMs to this process to upgrade in a batch. If you are a user with Chinese or Japanese as the source language you will be prompted to upgrade your TM. This is because to enable upLIFT for these languages TMs need to be upgraded more thoroughly by changing the underlying indexing technology. You will receive a prompt message that your TMs must be upgraded, otherwise you won’t get translation results.
This is a beta preview for our new next-generation offering for terminology management. Currently it is difficult to share local file-based termbases, you can share termbases through a terminology server but this is limited to larger companies who can afford this solution.
Initial functionality in the beta for cloud based terminology is focused around the translator's needs: easy creation of termbases, setup, and adding or sharing terms both in Studio and the browser.
There is a limit of 5 termbases available for each user account in Language Cloud, but there is no limitation to the termbase size.
When opening either Studio 2017 or MultiTerm 2017, a prompt will appear with instructions regarding how to download SR1 for each application. However, if you do not receive this prompt, please follow the steps below to download SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 and SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1:
- Exit SDL Trados Studio 2017 and SDL MultiTerm 2017, and close any Microsoft Office applications.
- Login to your SDL Account.
- Go to the "Downloads" section. Once in the "Downloads" section, you will see that your SDL Trados Studio 2017/SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 download is clearly marked.
- Expand the new SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1/SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 product name and you will find the SR1 downloads within:
- SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1
- SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1
- Click "Download" on each and save the executable files to your local hard disk. Once downloaded, run both executable files one at a time and follow the wizard driven process.
The SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 installer will detect the currently installed SDL Trados Studio 2017 software and uninstall it in the background before installing SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1.
If you have any problems with the installation or licensing of SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1, please submit a request on the Solution Finder at http://kb.sdl.com.