SDL Cookie Notice
- Access one of our websites, www.sdl.com, www.sdltrados.com, appstore.sdl.com, community.sdl.com, languagecloud.sdl.com, info.sdl.com, oos.sdl.com, www.freetranslation.com and www.xopus.com or any other site we add (the "Sites") or create an account or use the services provided on one of our sites. Our Cookie Preference Centre operates on the www.sdl.com, www.sdltrados.com, appstore.sdl.com, community.sdl.com, domains and their sub-domains. We will be adding the other domains in due course but in the meantime cookie preferences for the domains languagecloud.sdl.com, info.sdl.com, oos.sdl.com, www.freetranslation.com and www.xopus.com can be set using the cookie controls in your internet browser.
- Download, install, or otherwise use any SDL software product, including any demos related to such products ("Products"); or
- Subscribe to, access, configure, or otherwise use any SDL hosted or software-as-a-service offering ("SaaS Products").
We explain how you can choose to manage or disable cookies. If you choose to disable cookies some parts of our Websites may not function fully or at all for you.
1. Definition of Cookies
A cookie is a small file, typically of letters and numbers, downloaded on to a device (computer or mobile phone) when you access certain SDL websites. Every time you visit our websites using your devices your device sends back to our website data from the cookie file which enables our website to recognize the device is connecting to our website. This data could be an unique identifier, user preferences and profile information and membership information. This enables SDL to recognize what your preferences are and store them to more effectively service you on subsequent visits.
The cookies do not allow us access to your device.
2. Information we may collect about You
On each visit to our sites we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and version, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, click and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
We do not collect your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
The information we collect is used to build a profile of the user of the device which connects to our websites and is used in connection with the use of the Web site only.
3. Types of cookies used by SDL
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms.
You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
We consider these cookies are strictly necessary as they enable you to surf our sites, log into your account, make purchases and enable your cookie preferences to be complied with.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site.
All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance.
SDL uses analytics tools and other third party technologies, such as Google Analytics and DoubleClick cookies, to collect non-personal information in the form of various usage and user metrics when you use our online Sites and/or Services. These tools and technologies collect and analyze certain types of information, including cookies, IP addresses, device and software identifiers, referring and exit URLs, onsite behavior and usage information, feature use metrics and statistics, usage and purchase history, MAC Address, mobile unique device ID, and other similar information.
The third party analytics companies who collect information on our Sites and/or Services and other online products and/or services may combine the information collected with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online or mobile products and services relating to your activities across their network of websites as well as online and/or mobile products and services. Many of these companies collect and use information under their own privacy policies.
You may opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page or you may opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages.
If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
An example of where this is necessary is when you complete a form. The data filled by you will be used to create a cookie which is used to identify you for future interaction.
These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They are used by us for re-marketing or behavioral advertising to make our advertising more relevant to your interests and enable our advertisements to appear in other sites you visit. We also use these types of cookies to establish how effective our on-line marketing is, from which websites we receive visitors.
They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
Specific types of cookies
We use Session cookies, Persistent Cookies and First and Third Party Cookies.
- Session cookies-These allow websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session. They may be used for a variety of purposes such as remembering what a user has put in their shopping basket as they browse around a site. These session cookies expire after a browser session so would not be stored long term;
- Persistent Cookies- These are stored on a user’s device in between browser sessions which allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. Persistent cookies may be used for a variety of purposes including remembering user’s preferences and choices when using a site or to target advertising;
- First and third Party Cookies-First Party cookies are cookies set by a website visited by the user of the website that will be displayed in the URL window. Third Party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than the one being visited by the user. This means that if you visit SDL’s website and a separate company has set a cookie through our website, then this will be considered a third party cookie.
SDL may use social media buttons and/or plugins on our sites that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work, we may set cookies through our site. The social networks set their own cookies and have their own Cookie policies which will apply and which you ought to understand.
4. Cookies used on this website
5. Managing the use of your cookies
You can either use the SDL Cookie Preference Centre or the browser on your device.
Use of the SDL Cookie Preference Center
Your Browser settings
You are not obliged to accept cookies and you may modify your browser so that it will not accept cookies. The browser you use to surf the web not only allows you to see the cookies that you already have on your device but also allows you to control their use and block installation of cookies or receive a warning before a Cookie is stored on your device.
If you choose to disable cookies then it is very likely our websites will not function fully on your devices and you will not be able to use the full functionality we offer. As cookies are designed to provide you with functionality or enable delivery of a service, such as on-line shopping, we do recommend you leave all cookies enabled.
6. Translated versions of this NoticeThe English version of this Cookie Notice will prevail over all other translated versions if there are any conflicts or inconsistencies.
7. Contact us
SDL PLC is a company registered in England with registered number 02675207 of:
New Globe House
Vanwall Road, Vanwall Business Park
Details of all our subsidiary companies is available at SDL Companies and their contact details.