In this Privacy Notice we explain why SDL PLC or one of its affiliate or subsidiary companies (“SDL”) collect personal data at events and what companies in the SDL Group do with the personal data.
We at SDL are very aware of the importance of correctly and safely processing personal data while we process it securely we are also fully transparent with the owners of personal data about our activities.
SDL displays at events to make people aware of our products and services, to meet existing customers and people who will become our customers. It is our intention to maintain long-term relationships with our customers essential to which is communication with you. We need our customers and new customers contact details in order to communicate.
You may wish to alter the frequency and type of communications you receive from SDL or even stop altogether. We provide you with an ability to amend the type of communications you receive from us and even stop receiving communications from us all together.
We may collect your personal data from you when you provide a business card or your details orally, through digital data collection when you enter details on a tablet or we receive your personal data from the event organisers.
SDL uses the Personal Data you provide:
- To provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- To enable SDL to correspond with you including asking feedback on your experience at this event;
- We may provide your details to a Reseller or OEM Partner who is able to provide you with local or industry specific details about our products and services;
- Provide you with information by post, telephone, fax, SMS or by email about other goods and services we offer, include you in marketing campaigns for products or services which we consider relevant to you and invite you to future events.
We may share your Personal Data:
- With any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006;
- As SDL does not have offices in all countries we have appointed Resellers in some countries who sell our products. If we identify you are located in such a country we will pass your personal data to our Reseller or OEM partner to enable them to provide you with details etc. about our Products and services;
- Similarly if we identify you are involved in or interested in an industry sector or in a total solution offering where SDL has appointed industry or solution specialist Resellers or OEM partners to sell our products, we will pass your personal data to our Reseller or OEM partner who may contact you to provide you with details etc. about our Products and their services;.
- With organisations we engage as agents or sub-contractors to perform functions on our behalf such as sending customer communications, analysing data, providing marketing assistance and providing customer service. They will have access to Personal Data needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes;
- If SDL is acquired by a third party or if SDL sells any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your Personal Data to the prospective buyer of such business or assets and your Personal Data may be one of the transferred assets; and
- If SDL enters into a joint venture with another business entity, in which case we may disclose your Personal Data to the other business entity;
The Personal Data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Union (“EU”) and European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EU and EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your information, you agree to this transfer, storing and or processing.
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your information is processed securely. A copy of the applicable documentation ensuring the necessary safeguards can be obtained from SDL using the Contact details below. We will not otherwise share or distribute any of the information you provide to us to unaffiliated third parties without your consent, unless required to do so by law to law enforcement or regulatory agencies or by an order of a Court, or in order to enforce or apply our legal rights., or to detect or prevent fraud or to address security or technical issues.
SDL collects your Personal Data to enable us to establish a business relationship with you which we consider is a legitimate interests associated with the delivery of our business to enable us to make you aware of our products and services, communicate with you providing marketing materials and corresponding with you.
We will retain the information you provide at an event for one year unless we enter into a relationship with you in which case the period for which we will retain your personal data will be determined by that relationship.
You are in control of your Personal Data and at https://www.sdl.com/about/privacy/ you will find details of how you can amend your data, control what we do with your data or delete your data. SDL will respond to all requests but can refuse such requests in certain circumstances which you will be informed of if they apply.
- SDL Inc complies with the EU-US Privacy Shield and Swiss-US Privacy Shield as set by the U.S Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. SDL Inc has certified that it adheres to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. To learn more about the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield program and to view SDL Inc’s certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
- SDL and its subcontractors will maintain appropriate security procedures and practices to safeguard your data against unauthorized access and to maintain the confidentiality of your data in accordance with the applicable law.
SDL is the Data Controller for Personal Data Collected through the SDL websites and SDL Global Solutions (Ireland) Ltd is the Data Controller for Personal Data collected through our on-line shopping activity.
The law which governs this Notice and all disputes arising under it is English law. The current law is the Data Protection Act 1998 but we have included provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679). All disputes of whatsoever nature including failure to perform and performance shall be determined by the courts of England.
If any local laws apply and impose a higher duty or obligation upon SDL than we have set out in this Notice then that higher duty or obligation will apply to SDL.
SDL PLC is the Data Controller, where personal data is collected by an affiliate or subsidiary SDL Group company they If you have any questions, comments or concerns about the processing of your personal data please contact us as follows:
FAO: Privacy Officer (Legal Department)
Email at: email@example.com
SDL PLC is a company registered in England with registered number 02675207 of New Globe House, Vanwall Road, Vanwall Business Park Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 4UB, United Kingdom, and includes all its affiliate and subsidiary companies and entities.
Last updated: Feb 2018