SDL Trados Studio 2017 is the latest version of the SDL Trados Studio product family, evolving SDL Trados Studio 2015 with a range of new innovative capabilities to enable you to get more from your existing resources than ever before. Be more productive, work more easily and flexibly and allow Studio to take on the hard work so you can focus on what’s important. SDL Trados Studio 2017 is built on the same open platform as SDL Trados Studio 2015 and uses the same bilingual file, translation memory and termbase formats.
Discover new ways to work faster and get more from your assets than ever before with the next generation of translation productivity tools in SDL Trados Studio 2017. Studio 2017 introduces two key new innovations, with transformational technology for both translation memory and machine translation that will give you the best possible match in all everyday translation scenarios.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 also includes SDL MultiTerm 2017.
For a detailed list of updates and new features, please see the release notes.
Existing customers with active PSMA (support and maintenance agreement) will get a free upgrade to Studio 2017, which you can download from your SDL Account.
Existing customers who don’t have an active PSMA can purchase an upgrade through our online shop or by contacting your Account Manager.
Note: Please note that customers who wish to upgrade from Studio 2011 to Studio 2017 will be able to purchase upgrades until 31st March 2017.
Until 31st October 2016: You can upgrade at the special upgrade pricing, from Studio 2011, 2014 and 2015.
After 31st March 2017: You will be able to upgrade from Studio 2014 and Studio 2015. The upgrade path from Studio 2011 will be closed.
Once you complete the upgrade process to Studio 2017, your original license will be automatically removed from your account. If you want to retain both versions you should consider purchasing a full license instead of an upgrade.
Note: SDL Trados Studio Freelance Edition users only
Customers upgrading their SDL Trados Studio Freelance Edition to Studio 2017 Freelance who don’t deactivate their license can continue to run the Studio 2011/2014/2015 application alongside Studio 2015. Your previous version (2011/2014/2015) will be marked as inactive in your SDL Account and will be automatically removed if, for any reason, the license is deactivated.
The upgrade process is the same for all users owning a Single or Network license(s).
If you already have Studio 2011/2014/2015 and you upgrade to Studio 2017, you need to:
- Deactivate your current SDL Trados Studio 2011/2014/2015 license(s): go to your SDL Trados Studio application, then click on Help > Product Activation > Deactivate.
- Upgrade your license from your SDL Account.
- Login to your SDL Account and go to the Licenses section.
- On the left hand side you should see “Upgrades” available, marked with a yellow arrow icon. Click on the icon and you will be able to see the Upgrades page.
- Click on the Upgrade button to process the license upgrade. If you have several licenses, please bear in mind that you need to choose the number of user licenses which you wish to upgrade.
- A new licensing code will be generated.
- Activate your Studio 2017: copy the new licensing code and paste it in the Studio 2017 application to activate it.
Note: Customers upgrading their SDL Trados Studio Freelance Edition to Studio 2017 Freelance who don’t deactivate their license can continue to run the Studio 2011/2014/2015 application alongside Studio 2015. Your previous version (2011/2014/2015) will be marked as inactive in your SDL Account and will be automatically removed if, for any reason, the license is deactivated.
SDL Trados Studio supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. As a minimum requirement, we recommend an Intel or compatible CPU-based computer with 2 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1024x768. For optimum performance, we recommend 4 GB RAM and a recent Intel or compatible CPU.
Note that SDL Trados Studio 2017 no longer supports Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista. The reason behind this is that we moved to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 that no longer runs on Windows XP/Vista.
Yes! SDL Trados Studio 2017 is compatible with SDL Trados Studio 2014/2015. Furthermore SDL Trados Studio 2017 will enable you to open TTX, ITD files and old Trados Word bilingual files, as well as use translation memories from older versions of SDL Trados. It also features support for industry standards such as TMX (for translation memories), TBX (for terminology databases) and also XLIFF (as a file format for translation). Extended file type support is also available via the SDL Appstore for third party formats such as Wordfast.
Summary of compatibility details for SDL Trados Studio 2017
Studio 2014/2015 Translation Memory (*.sdltm)
Studio 2014/2015 (*.sdlxliff)
Legacy TMs (SDLX and Trados 2007)
Upgrade through wizard or read through Appstore plugins
Export through TMX, TM Management app, and various other apps available through the AppStore
Yes (if the source is ttx)
Yes (if the source is ITD)
Yes (if the source is bilingual doc)
Only through the Legacy Applications
Through TTXIt app - available free on SDL AppStore or use Legacy Converter app for enabling legacy workflows.
No, only through SDLX provided as part of SDL Trados 2007 Suite
No, only through SDL 2007 Suite. Or use Legacy Converter for enabling legacy workflows
Summary of server compatibility for SDL Trados Studio 2017
SDL Trados GroupShare Projects (Project Server 2015)
SDL Trados GroupShare Terminology (MultiTerm Server 2015)
SDL Trados GroupShare 2017
SDL Trados Studio 2017
SDL Trados Studio is available in three different editions: Starter, Freelance and Professional. The reason behind having separate editions is that freelance translators do not usually require all the functionality within the full Professional license. To see the differences between the different editions please visit this page.
- SDL Trados Studio is more than just a product, it's an integrated platform of translation, terminology management, review, project management and machine translation solutions.
- Largest translation community in the world with over 250,000 translation professionals already using our solutions.
- Local direct presence in 15 key markets to better serve you combined with a wide network of over 50 resellers to ensure we are always close to you.
- Access to the SDL AppStore and the ability to extend Studio functionality to provide tailored solutions to meet your needs in terms of capabilities, scalability and budget.
- Widest support for industry file formats and third-party translation environments.
- Extensive free education opportunities and seminars delivered at more than 20 cities around the world.
- Free webinars and web-based resource centre and local seminars.
- Support infrastructure of a successful global organization to ensure stability and confidence.
- SDL Trados Studio is one of the key components of an unrivalled range of Language Technology solutions which can scale with your business needs.